New York Patriot Plan III

  • Published
  • By Capt. Anthony L. Bucci
  • 174th FW/PAO
The Patriot Plan is a package of benefits and protections for service members. The majority of the provisions apply only to residents of the State of New York. One of the benefits is free sporting licenses.

Free hunting/big game, free fishing and free trapping licenses are available to New York State residents who have the appropriate Sportsmen Education and are active service members of the military.

What free license types will be available to qualifying military personnel?
Under the Patriot Plan the following FREE license types will be available:
· Small/Big Game License
· Trapping License
· Fishing Season License

All other licenses/permits are available at regular prices.

Who is eligible for Free Licenses?
NYS Residents who are active service members of either the New York State Organized Militia, U.S. Reserve Forces, or certain members of the U.S. Armed Forces. "Active Service" shall mean full-time or part-time status in one of the branches listed below of the New York and U.S. military forces. Inactive service status does not qualify an individual for free DEC sporting licenses.

Organized Militia - NYS Resident
· NY Army National Guard
· NY Air National Guard
· NY Naval Militia
· NY Guard

Note: must be in NY National Guard not a National Guard of another State (eg. VT, PA, MA, NJ)

U.S. Reserve Forces - NYS Resident
· U.S. Army Reserve
· U.S. Naval Reserve
· U.S. Marine Corps Reserve
· U.S. Air Force Reserve
· U.S. Coast Guard Reserve

U.S. Armed Forces - Full-time Active Duty*
· U.S. Army
· U.S. Navy
· U.S. Marine Corps
· U.S. Air Force
· U.S. Coast Guard

Note: Must be a NYS Resident stationed outside NY who will be in NY for no longer than 30 days for either leave or furlough. Eligibility example: John Doe is a resident of NY and is stationed at Camp Lejeune, NC, and will be in NY for 20 days on leave

What forms of proof are required?
1. Military ID Card:
U.S. Armed Forces Identification Card (Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard) (Card must indicate Guard, Reserve, or Active Duty)
o NY State (NY Naval Militia, NY Guard) (Card will not indicate Active or Inactive)

2. An affidavit (PDF, 10kb) to be completed by the service member seeking a license. In lieu of the affidavit, the service member may supply a letter statement from the service member or his/her commanding officer containing the same information.

AND (for full-time active duty U.S. Armed Forces service members only)

3. Authorized leave or furlough orders showing applicant stationed outside of NY and on leave or furlough for 30 days or less.

To learn more about the NY Patriot Plan please visit:

To learn more about Sporting Licenses Under the Patriot Plan please visit: